Merchant cards (displayed as blue or with merchant branding on your account):
- Can be used as many times as you’d like with the same merchant.
- Lock to the first merchant they're authorized with, but cannot be used with any other merchant. This ensures that a breach at one merchant doesn't put you at risk across the internet.
Merchant cards are great for:
- Recurring purchases
- Merchants you spend at frequently
- Backordered items
- Orders for multiple items that ship incrementally
- Pre-order sales
Single-use cards (displayed as red on your account):
- Automatically close 2 minutes after your first charge completes.
Single-use cards are great for:
- Merchants you don’t plan on shopping with again.
- If you’re concerned about the security of a purchase.
When you create a card, it defaults to a merchant card. To change a card to single-use, click on "Spend Limit" then toggle the "Single-use" option.